About Our Organization
The Midtown Greenway Coalition is coalition of neighborhoods, organizations, and individuals who love the Midtown Greenway and want to protect and enhance it. Our mission is to empower communities to develop, improve, protect, and enjoy the Midtown Greenway as a green urban corridor to improve people's lives.
We’re the grassroots nonprofit organization that advocated for the Midtown Greenway trails to be put in by public agencies. Our founders first started working on the Greenway in the late 80's by meeting with neighborhood leaders all along the corridor. They formed the Midtown Greenway Coalition in partnership with neighborhoods all along the corridor.
- Work with developers to make sure they build Greenway 'friendly' buildings.
- Work to make street crossings safer.
- Coordinate the Trail Watch safety patrol, which bikes the Greenway to help keep it safe.
- Clean glass from the trail.
- Plant trees and gardens and work to make the Greenway even greener.
- Advocate for a turf-track streetcar, which will bring more people to the Greenway and increase safety, while offering a great way for community members to connect to the Hiawatha and future SW LRT.
- Encourage more people to use the Greenway for biking, walking, exercise, relaxation, and transportation.
- Work to improve signage and wayfinding.